Illini baseball comes within one win of postseason guarentee

By Jason Grodsky

Sophomore pitcher Tanner Roark’s record-tying win and senior closer Jake Toohey’s record-tying save couldn’t have came at a better time for the Illinois baseball team.

Roark and the Illini came back from an early 4-0 deficit on Friday night to beat the Spartans 6-5 and move one win a away from guaranteeing themselves a spot in the Big Ten Tournament. Roark’s sixth conference win of the season tied the school record for wins in Big Ten play.

With a two-run lead in the eighth inning Toohey came in for Roark and preserved the victory with a four-out save to earn his seventh save in conference play, tying him for the most saves in a Big Ten season by Illini.

Illinois took advantage of six Spartan errors on the evening and were helped by senior first baseman Mike Rohde’s three-run home run in the third inning to mount its comeback. Rohde finished with a game-high four RBIs on the night.

The Illini and Spartans will play a doubleheader tomorrow at Illinois Field starting at 1 p.m. with the Illini needing just one win to ensure its season will continue past this weekend.