Davis earns Second-Team All-American accolades

By Jason Grodsky

Junior catcher Lars Davis continues to add awards to his already impressive resume.

The Big Ten Player of the Year was named to the Louisville Slugger TPX Collegiate Baseball All-American Second-Team on Wednesday night. Davis earned the honor after becoming the 22nd player in Illinois baseball history to hit .400 and the first to do so since 1996.

The Canadian backstop becomes the 42nd postseason All-American in the program’s history and was the Big Ten Conference’s only representative recognized on any of the All-American teams.

The “Canadian Crusher” led the Illini in hits (90), RBIs (56), runs (53), home runs (13), slugging percentage (.673) and on-base percentage (.473) this season. Davis’ 13 home runs led the Big Ten and he also led the Big Ten behind the plate, throwing out 24 would-be base stealers.

Although Davis has a year of eligibility left, he is expected to be drafted in early June in Major League Baseball’s first year player draft.

“This was a bitter sweet season for us watching Lars,” head coach Dan Hartleb said on May 20 following what could end up being Davis’ final home game as an Illini. “He really developed into a great overall player this year, both offensively and defensively. Unfortunately for us he probably did too well and we won’t have him back next year. He’s got a great future ahead of him.”