‘Pacman’ Jones drops appeal

By Dave Goldberg

NEW YORK – Tennessee Titans cornerback Adam “Pacman” Jones withdrew the appeal of his suspension Tuesday and will serve the one-year term imposed by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

“I understand my responsibilities to my teammates, the Titans and my fans and I am committed to turning my life around and being a positive member of the NFL,” Jones said in a statement issued by his agent.

Jones met with Goodell at NFL headquarters Tuesday and was accompanied to New York by agent Michael Huyghue.

“Last week, I asked for an opportunity to meet privately with commissioner Goodell,” Jones said in the statement. “I met with him earlier today to tell him about the steps I have taken to change my life since being suspended by the NFL. I accept the discipline that’s been imposed on me and I am withdrawing my appeal.”

Goodell suspended Jones on April 10 for a series of off-field episodes. He has been interviewed by police 10 times and been arrested five times since he was drafted in 2005. Jones and his attorneys appealed the suspension May 11. It could be reduced to 10 games if Jones meets all the restrictions set by Goodell.

Huyghue said Jones intended to keep working out and would go back to school, taking courses online from West Virginia University, where he played.

Jones’ suspension was the most severe of three handed down this spring by Goodell as part of the commissioner’s crackdown on player misbehavior during a year that included the arrest of nine Cincinnati Bengals.

Tank Johnson of Chicago and Chris Henry of Cincinnati each got eight games, Johnson after serving two months in jail for violating probation on a gun charge, and Henry – Jones’ teammate at West Virginia – for four arrests in 14 months. Henry served a two-game suspension last season.

Neither the NFL nor the Titans had comment.

At the time of the suspension, Titans owner Bud Adams said the team respected Goodell’s decision and added: “We are hopeful that it will achieve the goals of disciplining the player and eventually enabling him to return to the field of play.”

The Titans took steps last weekend to fill Jones’ spot by signing cornerback Kelly Herndon, a former starter for Seattle and Denver.

The length of Jones’ suspension could hinge on developments in Las Vegas involving a fight and shooting at a strip club during the NBA All-Star weekend that paralyzed one person. Police there recommended felony and misdemeanor charges against Jones, but the investigation continues.

Jones was the sixth overall pick by the Titans in the 2005 draft. If he misses the entire season, the suspension will cost him his salary of $1,292,500.