Phillies go deep 3 times to black out White Sox

By Dan Gelston

By DAN GELSTON

The Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA – Adam Eaton pitched four-hit ball for seven innings, and Ryan Howard, Pat Burrell and Jimmy Rollins homered to lead the Philadelphia Phillies over the Chicago White Sox 3-0 on Monday night.

Eaton (7-4) pitched out of a pair of jams, made a nifty defensive play to help his cause and won for the fourth time in five starts.

Eaton walked three and struck out five. Mike Zagurski tossed a perfect eighth and Antonio Alfonseca worked a one-hit ninth for his fifth save.

Burrell hit his eighth homer of the season in the second off Javier Vazquez, and Howard’s 13th homer in the fourth went deep into the second deck in right.

Rollins made it three solo shots for the Phillies in the sixth when he hit his 11th homer.

That was enough run support for Eaton in his first career start against the White Sox. He was outstanding for the second consecutive outing after his awful, two-inning stint in a 13-0 loss to San Francisco.

Vazquez (3-5) allowed only one other hit and struck out four with one intentional walk in six innings. But the punchless White Sox were shut out for the fifth time this season, tied for most in the AL.

It was Philadelphia’s second shutout of the year.

Eaton ran into his first jam in the fifth when he allowed back-to-back singles to open the inning. But he struck out Josh Fields, made a headfirst dive to snare Vazquez’s bunt and retired Rob Mackowiak on a grounder before walking off the field to a rousing ovation.

The right-hander escaped again in the sixth. With one out and the potential tying runs on base after consecutive walks, Jermaine Dye struck out swinging before Eaton worked his way back from a 3-0 count and got Jose Uribe to fly out.

Eaton pumped his fist at catcher Rod Barajas as they walked off the field.

The Phillies badly needed Eaton to give them a lift after the momentum from a three-game sweep at the NL East-leading New York Mets was wiped out when they lost two of three to the lowly Kansas City Royals.

Phillies manager Charlie Manuel pinch hit for Eaton against Ryan Bukvich with runners at the corners and one out in the seventh, but Wes Helms grounded into a double play on the first pitch.

Jim Thome, the former Phillies slugger and fan favorite who led the NL with 47 homers in 2003 before he was traded to the White Sox in 2005, didn’t play. He was on deck when the game ended, ready to enter as a pinch hitter.

Without the designated hitter in use during this interleague series, Thome wasn’t expected to get a start in his first trip back to Philadelphia until Wednesday.