Big Ten sets kickoff for football opener

By Jason Grodsky

On Tuesday, the Big Ten Conference announced the times for seven Big Ten football games slotted to appear on ABC, ESPN or ESPN2. Among the seven game times released is Illinois’ season opener against Missouri in St. Louis. The State Farm Arch Rivalry game between the Illini and Tigers on Sept. 1 will appear on ESPN2 at 2:30 p.m.

This is the Illini’s fifth game that has been scheduled for television next season. Illinois will also play on the ESPN family of networks on Sept. 15 and Oct. 20 and 27, against Syracuse, Michigan and Ball State respectively. Illinois’ game at Minnesota on Nov. 3 is slotted to be shown on the new Big Ten Network that premieres this upcoming school year.

Tickets for the Arch Rivalry game went on sale June 4 and fans interested in purchasing tickets for the 2007 season opener can do so by either logging onto fightingillini.com, calling 866-ILLINI-1 or by visiting the Assembly Hall Athletic Ticket Office. Tickets for the contest are $62 for sideline seats and $44 for endzone seats.

Other notable non-conference games announced by the Big Ten were Michigan’s Sept. 8 contest against Oregon, set for 2:30 p.m. on ABC, and Michigan’s annual rivalry game against Notre Dame on Sept. 15, also scheduled for 2:30 p.m. on ABC.

The remaining ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 game selections for the Big Ten will begin Sept. 22 and continue through the end of the season depending on how teams perform.