UC Irvine bests in-state rival in 13-inning game

By The Associated Press

OMAHA, Neb. – Bryan Petersen ended the longest game in College World Series history with a run-scoring single in the bottom of the 13th inning, giving UC Irvine a 5-4 victory over Cal State Fullerton in an elimination game Monday.

The 5 hour, 40 minute game beat the old CWS mark – set in 1981 by Oklahoma State and Arizona State – by 40 minutes.

Petersen’s winning hit came after Fullerton left fielder Josh Fellhauer had gunned down Taylor Holiday at home plate.

The Anteaters (46-16-1), making their first CWS appearance, move to a Tuesday game against the loser of Monday night’s Arizona State-Oregon State game.

Fullerton (38-25) went two games and out at the CWS for the first time in nine appearances since 1990. The Titans are 0-6 all-time in extra innings in Omaha.

The 97th meeting of the neighborhood rivals came more than 1,500 miles away from their Orange County campuses, on the game’s biggest stage.

Despite committing a season-high six errors, UC Irvine came back three times to tie the Titans before overtaking them in a tense 13th inning that had Fullerton coach George Horton ejected for arguing a hit batsman call.