Pujols irked about getting left on All-Star bench by La Russa

By Janie McCauley

SAN FRANCISCO – Albert Pujols pouted and questioned his own manager for a move he didn’t make.

As if the St. Louis Cardinals needed any more embarrassment in a lackluster season that already featured the alcohol-related death of pitcher Josh Hancock in late April and skipper Tony La Russa’s drunken driving arrest during spring training.

Pujols was angry about being left on the All-Star bench and the St. Louis slugger took aim at the National League manager – who just happened to be La Russa of his own Cardinals.

“It’s the All-Star game. He can do what he wants,” Pujols said Tuesday night. “He does whatever he wants. If I wasn’t expecting to play, I wouldn’t have come up here.”

Pujols, the NL MVP in 2005 and key to the Cardinals’ win in the World Series last year, said La Russa didn’t talk to him the entire game.

Pujols could only watch when Aaron Rowand flied out with the bases loaded to end the American League’s 5-4 win.

“If he wants to get upset, he can get upset,” La Russa said. “Whatever he wants to do, he can do. It’s America. That wasn’t the most important thing tonight.”

With the 32-man rosters, it’s not uncommon for few players to be left out. The AL used 27 players, while the NL used 28.

Pujols and Texas shortstop Michael Young – last year’s All-Star game MVP – were the only position players who didn’t get into the game. Ever since the 2002 event ended in an extra-innings tie, managers have tended to hold a hitter back just in case.

La Russa said he indeed was saving his star player in case the game went long.

“Once we lost (Miguel) Cabrera and (Freddy) Sanchez, he was the guy we were going to use to protect ourselves in case we kept playing because of Albert’s versatility,” La Russa said. “I think we had the right guy at bat.”

A six-time All-Star, Pujols finished about 770,000 votes behind starting first baseman Prince Fielder. He played left field regularly in 2002 and ’03 and also saw time at third base in 2001 and ’02.

Pujols said he was getting his body loose the whole night.

“I was ready to go since the game started,” Pujols said.

Pujols is mired in a career-worst home run slump _ 22 games and a career-worst 74 at-bats. He is tied with Chris Duncan for the team lead with 16 homers and his last homer was off Kansas City’s Jimmy Gobble on June 14.