A look ahead at the upcoming sports season

By Daniel Johnson

As a freshman, going to sporting events can be a great thing. You can meet new friends, learn to hate referees, get more orange T-shirts than you’ll ever need and, above all, learn the traditions of your school.

Unless you were a die-hard Illini fan for your entire life, you may not be know what to expect from our sports programs. Those who have been fans for your entire life, now is your chance to get to know the sports you love more, and learn about some of the other programs we have.

Football

Head coach: Ron Zook

Last season: 2-10 (1-7 Big Ten)

Even though the Illini had a disappointing year, coming into the 2007 season, there is much hope. With the addition of a top 10 recruiting class, the Illini look to climb the Big Ten standings

True freshman quarterback Isaiah “Juice” Williams was thrust into the offense early last year and faced the defenses of Ohio State, Wisconsin and Iowa. Williams started nine games and broke the freshman passing yards record en route to throwing for 1,489 yards.

The Illini started off with a victory against Eastern Illinois, and won two of their first five contests. Their second victory came at Michigan State, snapping a 10-game conference losing steak and nine-game losing streak to the Spartans.

Unfortunately for Illinois, the rest of the season was marred with inconsistent play. The Illini lost their final seven games. Although the Illini stuck with their opponents, they lacked game-winning plays.

A harbinger of great play came on Nov. 4 against Ohio State. After the Buckeyes established a 17-0 lead at the half, the Illini came back in the second half. The Illini scored a touchdown and a field goal to close the score to 17-10. Although the 17-10 score was the final, it showed the Illini’s ability to play with the nation’s best.

The Illini had one of the best recruiting classes in the nation, ranking as high as 10th in media publications. With the signing of top recruits like wide receiver Rejus Benn, defensive end Martez Wilson and defensive lineman Josh Brent, the future looks bright for the Illini.

Players to watch

• Juice Williams, Quarterback

Look for continued success in Williams, as he has spent the offseason immersed in the offense.

• Rejus Benn, Wide receiver

The standout from Dunbar High School showed flashes of his ability in spring practice and the spring game and will likely add another dimension to the Illini offense.

Women’s Soccer

Head coach: Janet Rayfield

Last year: 16-8 (9-2 Big Ten)

The Illini are coming into 2007 with a bright future. After a loss in the NCAA tournament to Florida State, the women are looking to go further this year.

Illinois fared extremely well all year in conference play with a record of 9-2 with the lone losses coming at the hands of Michigan and Ohio State.

The team’s record was thanks in large part to a stifling defense. Stellar play led the Illini to 12 shutouts, ranking them second all-time in shutouts in school history. The Illini played their way into the Big Ten semifinals before falling to the Nittany Lions of Penn State.

Heading into the NCAA tournament, the Illini weren’t quite sure where they would be seeding-wise. After they received their No. 3 seed, they knew that they had a chance to do well, so long as their draw wasn’t too tough.

Unfortunately the Illini’s portion of the bracket featured both Florida State and Notre Dame, both perennial powerhouses. The women made their way to the Sweet 16, but came up short against the Seminoles, 1-0.

Players to watch

• Emily Zurrer, Defender

Zurrer helped the Illini create their stingy defense. She was named co-Defensive Player of the Year for the Big Ten.

• Ella Masar, Forward

The Urbana native combined for 27 points on the year, ranking her eighth all-time in school history. She was another Illini Big Ten Player of the Year, on the offensive side, in addition to being named second team All-American.

Women’s volleyball

Head coach: Don Hardin

Last season: 15-15 (6-14 Big Ten)

The Illinois women’s volleyball team is coming off of a tough season that had many ups and downs. The highlights included the Illini winning the State Farm Illini Classic and Marquette Tournaments, in addition to the upset of then No. 16 Ohio State.

The women had the misfortune of injuries spreading throughout the team, however. It was difficult for the Illini to recover for conference play against the deep and formidable Big Ten Conference. The women only compiled a 6-14 mark against the conference that sent seven teams to the NCAA tournament, five of which made it to the Sweet 16.

Players to watch:

• Vicki Brown, Middle Hitter

The Ohio native is a dominant hitter. Brown earned two tournament MVP awards and was an Honorable Mention All-Big Ten selection.

• Lizzie Bazzetta, Setter

Bazzetta was one of the Illini who went down with an injury. Before she was hurt, Bazzetta was leading the conference in assists per game.

Men’s Basketball

Head coach: Bruce Weber

Last season: 23-13 (9-7 Big Ten)

After ushering out the final two players of the National Championship run, one would have expected a drop off for the Illini. The men delivered, however, leading the team to its eighth straight 20-win season and eighth straight NCAA tournament appearance.

The team had its fair share of injuries as well, including to forwards Brian Randle, guard Jamar Smith and center Brian Carlwell. The Illini still managed to get big regular season victories versus Indiana and Michigan State.

In the Big Ten Tournament, the men advanced to the conference semifinals, beating Penn State and Indiana. The team fell to the Wisconsin Badgers, but because of its conference run, secured a NCAA tournament bid.

The NCAA tournament was the Illini’s eight straight but was short-lived. After receiving the 12 seed as an at-large team, the Illini had to face a tough Virginia Tech team that pulled away late in the game after the Illini built a sizeable lead.

Players to watch

• Chester Frazier, Point Guard

The team co-MVP from last year is returning and will be the floor general.

• Brian Randle, Small Forward

The forward was on the Naismith Award watch list before the 2006-07 season. Although Randle has suffered through injuries, when healthy he is an explosive player.