Big Ten coaches optimistic heading into ’07 season

By Daniel Johnson

With Camp Rantoul only a few fleeting days away, the Illini football team enjoyed some of its last free time Monday through Wednesday in Chicago for the Big Ten media days. With all 11 head coaches accompanied by select players from each respective team, there was much to be learned about each team – especially the Illini.

The Big Ten could potentially be a very different conference from the norm this year. In addition to three new coaches – Bill Lynch of Indiana, Tim Brewster of Minnesota and Mark Dantonio of Michigan State – national runner-up Ohio State is only returning 11 starters. There may be a lot of growing pains in the future for the coaches starting their tenure at new schools, and, subsequently, shifting in the conference rankings.

In addition to the three first-year coaches, two more coaches in the conference – Pat Fitzgerald of Northwestern and Bret Bielema of Wisconsin – are entering only their second year as head coach. Although Bielema’s Badgers played extremely well, finishing with a 12-1 record, Fitzgerald and the Wildcats ended a less-than-stellar 4-8.

Fitzgerald was thrust into the head coaching position at Northwestern after the death of former head coach Randy Walker on June 29, 2006. Fitzgerald’s sudden promotion left the Northwestern graduate facing adversity last season. This year, Fitzgerald is more experienced and up for the task.

“From an organizational standpoint, you are much more prepared than a year ago,” Fitzgerald said. “We’re ready to go. Last year (at this time) I was still figuring out what keys were to my office.”

All of the teams in attendance were very confident that their schools would fare well in the new season. Coaches weren’t shy about sharing their feelings on their respective team’s chances at potentially winning a title.

“At Minnesota, the bar has been set, and it’s about championships,” Brewster said. “That is our goal; that is our ambition to win a Big Ten Championship,”

During each coach’s opening statement, he addressed the current state of the team and what had been done over the summer to improve the team.

“We have a challenging schedule ahead of us, but I think our team is up to it,” Purdue head coach Joe Tiller said. “I think the one thing that’s changed at Purdue is that our players have rededicated themselves to improving their strength and their size. I also think that there is a sense of urgency amongst our players, so I’m anxious for us to get underway.”

Although the Illini fared poorly last season, they were not to be excluded from the optimism. With head coach Ron Zook entering his third year, he has experience on his side. Illinois and Purdue have the most returning starters in the conference at 20.

“(Having returning starters) means you got guys who are going through the same thing for the second, or third time,” Zook said on Wednesday. “Football is a reaction game. The more times you do the same thing, the more you react. The more you react, the faster you are. The faster you are, the faster you play, and that’s what makes teams fun to watch.”

Chris Norwell is one of three returning defensive linemen who had the opportunity to get a lot of repetitions. Entering his final season, the redshirt senior is looking for the team to progress through persistence.

“You just have to keep on working,” Norwell said. “Maybe everything won’t turn out in the end for you, but if you put everything you have into it and have no regrets, you can be happy with yourself.”

Although Zook said he is aware his team has been striving and improving, he still is looking for more of both from his players. Throughout the weekend, Zook echoed the fact that he is looking to “take the next step.” Zook was quick to clarify what that means.

“Win,” Zook said. “That is the next step.”