Illini to face Arizona State in first round of Maui Invite

By Steve Contorno

The Illinois men’s basketball team will take part in one of the most prestigious tournaments this year when it travels to Hawaii for the Maui Invite. On Tuesday, the brackets were set for the three day event. Illinois will play Arizona State in the first round.

“Year after year, the EA SPORTS Maui Invitational ushers in the college basketball season with marquee fields,” said Tournament Chairman Dave Gavitt in a press release. “Basketball fans are in store for another strong tournament field featuring highly ranked teams when Maui becomes the Mecca of college basketball this November.”

Eight schools, including host school Chaminade University of Honolulu, will begin their seasons on the island. Marquete, Oklahoma State, LSU, Princeton and Duke will also participate and compete for the EA SPORTS Maui Invitational Wayne Duke Championship Trophy.

ESPN and its various networks will cover the 24th annual event.

The semifinals are set for Tuesday, Nov. 20 at 6 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. Central time, with the winners moving onto the championship game Wednesday, Nov. 21 at 9 p.m.

Remaining tickets will go on sale to the general public on Wednesday, Aug. 22 at 2 p.m.