Tennis teams host party to honor season success

By Jim Shay

The thrill of the men’s tennis team’s improbable run to the championship game last year will hit a little bit closer to home this weekend.

Alumni, students and Illini fans are invited to join the men’s and women’s tennis teams at the 2007 Finals Celebration at CRCE on Friday from 6-8 p.m.

This past summer, the men’s tennis team blew through top competition on their way to the championship game, where it finished behind Georgia for the top spot in the nation.

The location and timing of the championships left many Illini fans at a loss, as the competition took place in Athens, Ga., following dismissal for summer break.

In this sense, the event will provide a fitting conclusion to a special season for the Illini.

“The tiny, disappointing thing is that the championships occur after school is out,” Illini Head Coach Brad Dancer said, “so the guys haven’t had the chance to celebrate on campus, and we’re thrilled they’re going to have that opportunity.”

The event will feature a presentation of the 2007 men’s team highlight video, catered ice cream and cookies from Cold Stone Creamery and the Cookie Jar and free giveaways, as well as a growing sense of optimism as both the men’s and women’s teams prepare for the upcoming season.

“It’s a galvanizing event,” Dancer said. “We’re trying to draw support for not only the men’s team, but the women’s team as well, and showcase the excitement we have heading into this coming season.”