Reda shuns media after previous flubs

By Laura Haning

There’s a lot to say about the Fighting Illini’s kicker Jason Reda, but he’s keeping quiet. Many athletes are superstitious and Reda is no exception. He’s spent his past three seasons working closely with the media, but after a some of his biggest kicks, he’d follow with some of his biggest flubs.

This year he’s not taking any chances and not talking to the media. Senior wideout and Reda’s holder Frank Lenti thinks Reda’s just trying to keep concentration.

var UniqueNameFO = { movie:”https://www.dailyillini.com/media/paper736/interactive/2fg3elgn.swf”, width:”200″, height:”305″, majorversion:”8″, build:”0″, xi:”true” };

UFO.create(UniqueNameFO, “di_inline_flash”);

Get macromedia Flash Player

“I think in the past outside sources kind of got to him and kind of messed with his focus a little bit so I think this year he’s just trying to concentrate and just stay focused on what he has to do,” Lenti said.

Reda has the opportunity to become the all time leading scorer for the Illini. He’s just 12 points behind the legendary Red Grange. He’s also 19 away from holding the record for most career field goals.

His long snapper of four years, Kyle Knezetic believes Reda has the determination to break the records.

“He’s all about his business,” Knezetic said. “He does his work and then just goes out there and helps the younger guys out.”

Reda’s teammates could joke about his quirks, but know he’s willing to do whatever it takes. Freshman Punter Anthony Santella appreciates his leadership.

“He wants you to come to work and when you’re out there kicking you don’t mess around,” Santella said. “You get your work done.”

Reda will continue to chase those records this weekend when the Illini face undefeated Indiana, even if he wouldn’t talk to us.