Masar garners honors from conference for 2-goal game

By Steve Contorno

For the second time this season and third time in her career, senior forward Ella Masar has been named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week. Masar was given the award on Monday, undoubtedly for her two-goal performance Friday against No. 24 Indiana.

“It’s a huge honor especially in the Big Ten because there are so many talented people,” Masar said. “I credit my teammates for getting this; they help me get open and create these opportunities.”

Masar was all over the field for the opening minutes and there was a feeling that at some point in the game, on Senior Night, the Urbana native was going to find the net. She did – twice. Her first goal came in the 18th minute after she beat a defender and booted a left foot hard past the keeper. The second goal was scored on a cross in the second half.

With the two goals, Masar now has eight on the season, one shy of her total from last year when she was named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year.

“The number I want is 12,” Masar said. “I can’t really think about it, though, because then the pressure gets to you. But if I don’t score again this year and we win I’ll be happy.”