Hockey club set to play No. 6 team at Ice Arena

By Wes Anderson

The Illinois hockey club will play host to No. 6 Lindenwood for a two-game series at the Ice Arena on Friday and Saturday. After a shootout victory in St. Charles, Mo., last weekend, the Illini hope to take the remaining two games against the Lions at home.

As No. 1 Illinois played on the road for the first time last week, some players were admittedly unaccustomed to the average-sized rinks most teams have. Despite needing to make some initial adjustments, senior captain Drew Heredia said the Illini were still “outskating” and “outworking” the Lions. Now back at the oversized “Big Pond,” the Illini hope to take advantage of being at home.

“The veteran guys stepped it up (last week),” Heredia said. “Coming back here, hopefully we can come out with two more wins.”

Illinois’ record at the Ice Arena has been nearly immaculate. Last season, the Illini lost at home only once – to a Central States Collegiate Hockey League all-star team.

Lindenwood brings a 7-2-0 record to Champaign this weekend after dropping only its second game of the season. The Lions are a remarkably young team for their ranking, as their top six points leaders are all freshmen. Much like the Illini, Lindenwood also has a platoon of goaltenders. Robi Cavillari, a freshman, and Grahame Lippert, a senior, have split time so far this season.

The Lions also lead the conference standings with 16 points and an undefeated record in conference play. Last weekend’s game did not count in the standings because it was only a one-game series. Each conference game the Illini play for the rest of the season will be worth four points in the standings, as they look to secure their first regular season conference title since 2003.

The key to starting conference play off well against the Lions may involve capitalizing on penalties. So far this season, the Illini have scored 14 power play goals, including a crucial game-tying 6-on-3 goal last weekend.

“On power plays, we have a lot of veteran guys out there,” Heredia said. “It’s the exact five guys from last year … experience helps a lot.”

Illinois will play both games at 7 p.m. at the Ice Arena.