Injuries unable to stop hockey from winning

By Wes Anderson

Injuries changed the look of the Illinois hockey club’s lineup, but the result was very familiar.

In the final series before fall break, No. 1-ranked Illinois cruised to its 12th and 13th victories of the season, defeating the St. Louis Billikens 6-1 Friday and 8-0 Saturday.

With several veteran forwards scratched from the lineup with injury, the Illini showcased their depth with a barrage of goals. Tom Connell, who started at center on Saturday, took advantage of his increase in playing time, scoring three goals in the series finale for his first hat trick at Illinois.

“It was just kind of bouncing right for me,” Connell said.

Freshman defenseman Zach Honert, who had previously seen action in only one of the Illini’s first 11 games, hit the ice for the weekend and scored his first career goal.

“It was pretty exciting,” Honert said. “I was really nervous out there being in the first shift, especially at home with the crowd behind me, but the team showed a ton of support for me, and the crowd showed me a lot of support. It was really great.”

Playing the nation’s top-ranked team on the road, the Billikens attempted to deny the Illini of any space in their offensive zone. As a result, Illinois was able to consistently challenge St. Louis goaltenders Jason Magusiak and Trey Spiller, firing 102 shots on goal for the weekend.

But head coach Chad Cassel said quality scoring opportunities were difficult to produce and that the team was “getting a little frustrated” at the visitors’ defensive strategy early on.

Eventually it was able to wear down the Billikens.

“When they pack it in like that it’s just a matter of time before you start getting a few goals,” Cassel said.

With the Billikens on their heels, the Illini defensive zone was relatively deserted. St. Louis managed only 28 shots on goal for the entire series, and narrowly avoided a scoreless weekend thanks to St. Louis forward Tony Jost, whose shot took an awkward deflection and got past goaltender Mike Burda.

Illinois’ home-ice advantage proved pivotal in the series. St. Louis appeared unaccustomed to the Ice Arena’s unusual width, allowing the Illini to spread out the puck on offense.

“In the first game, they wouldn’t chase us outside the circles,” Connell said. “That leaves us an extra 15 feet to move around. With the talent we have and that kind of time and space, good things are going to happen.”

Now 13-0-0, the Illini will be able to recover from their injuries during a two-week fall break. Except for JJ Heredia, who missed every game this season with a broken leg, Cassel said every player on the team should be able to return to the roster following the breather.

“I’ve never looked so forward to a break,” Cassel said.