Bulls fire coach Scott Skiles after 9-16 start

Chicago Bulls coach Scott Skiles watches during a game against the Phoenix Suns in this Nov. 15, 2007 file photo, in Phoenix. Skiles was fired Monday, Dec. 24, 2007 after the team failed to live up to expectations, Executive Vice President of Basketball O Paul Connors, The Associated Press

AP

By The Associated Press

CHICAGO (AP) _ Scott Skiles was fired Monday as coach of the Chicago Bulls, who have one of the worst records in the Eastern Conference.

The Bulls (9-16) have lost three of their last four and were booed throughout by the home crowd during Saturday night’s 116-98 loss to the Houston Rockets.

“This was a difficult decision to make, but one that was necessary at this time,” Bulls general manager John Paxson said in a release. “Scott helped us in many ways during his time with the Bulls; most importantly, he helped this franchise get back to respectability. I am appreciative of his hard work and the imprint that he left on our team.”

The Bulls didn’t immediately announce a replacement for Skiles, who went 165-172 after replacing Bill Cartwright in November 2003.