BOWL BLOG: Rose Bowl live blog

By Daniel Johnson

0:38 2nd quarter

Reda makes good on his second attempt of the game from 28 yards out. While points are points, the Illini needed a touchdown.

1:26 2nd quarter

The Illini faithful give a sarcastic cheer, and then a genuine one on consecutive passes to Jeff Cumberland. The offensive line is stiffening and the passes lanes are being seen better on this drive by Juice. Of course, as I type that, Malaluga gets his third sack of the game. And of course, as I’m typing that, Jeff Cumberland draws a big pass interference call. Well done, Jeffrey.

3:09 2nd quarter

The Trojans pick up their ninth first down of the game. Chauncey Washington scampers into the end zone shortly there after for the third SC touchdown. While this touchdown is more acceptable, if there is a thing, given the great SC starting position, the Illini offense needs to score on this drive or this game is over.

6:52 2nd quarter

In what seems to be very similar to last year’s team, as suggested by the Daily Illini’s Adam Harris, the defense is playing well now and the offense is not. Illinois needs to adjust to the USC defensive pressure, I don’t know if that means max protecting with tight ends, or just spread the USC defense out with receiver, but something needs to be, stat.

Football columnist Daniel Johnson will be blogging live from Pasadena all game.Click here to go to the full blog post.