Hockey back on home ice

By Wes Anderson

Head coach Chad Cassel already had a hectic start to 2008 – and it had nothing to do with the Illini hockey club’s first four games of the year.

Right before New Year’s Day, Cassel was selected for induction into the Illinois Hockey Hall of Fame, an honor he now shares with former Chicago Blackhawks Chris Chelios, Eddie Olczyk and Stan Mikita.

“I’ve never met Stan Mikita before, so I’m looking forward to that,” Cassel said. “It was a surprise, and I’m very honored by the whole thing.”

Four days later, Cassel was missing from the bench against Michigan-Dearborn in the first series of 2008. He was also out for the Illini’s sweep of Indiana the following weekend.

The reason? Cassel’s wife was due to give birth – although the family wasn’t sure when – forcing the Champaign native to remain close to home. Assistant coach Darin Trulock managed the team in his absence.

“We knew she could have it at any time,” said Cassel, who welcomed a baby girl to the family last Friday.

This weekend, Cassel will resume his coaching duties with the No. 1-ranked Illini, who look to maintain a perfect season against Kent State in a pair of pivotal conference games.

Despite its unblemished record of 21-0-0, Illinois currently trails No. 3 Lindenwood by four points in the Central State Collegiate Hockey League standings. At 10-0-0 in CSCHL play, the Illini have not played as many games in conference as the Lions, who are 12-2-0. With conference games worth four points in the standings, every remaining match up is crucial.

“The first goal that we want to take care of as a team is to win the regular season league championship,” Cassel said. “And to do that, you have to take care of business at home.”

The Illini have historically dominated the Golden Flashes, who are ranked No. 9 in the latest American Collegiate Hockey Association poll. The Orange and Blue are 19-2-0 all-time against Kent State and undefeated at the Ice Arena.

“Coming back here, with the ‘Big Pond’ and the fans, it’ll be nice to get back out there,” center Drew Heredia said.

While Illinois is poised to contend for its second national championship at the upcoming ACHA tournament, Cassel said the Illini still must improve to be the caliber team that can win it all in March.

“We’re nowhere near where we need to be yet,” said Cassel. “We just have to continue to improve.”

The series will take place on Friday and Saturday, and both games are scheduled for a 7 p.m. faceoff at the Ice Arena.