Jeter: Steroid use controversy not a distraction during training

By The Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. – Yankees captain Derek Jeter doesn’t think baseball’s steroids controversy will be a major distraction when the team begins spring training next week.

New York pitcher Andy Pettitte and former Yankees Roger Clemens and Chuck Knoblauch are scheduled to testify at a congressional hearing on the issue Feb. 13, one day before pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report.

“I think Andy is probably going to be facing a lot of questions,” Jeter said Tuesday. “You know how it is in New York, there’s always questions. It will probably die down after the first couple days when he talks to the media, addresses them and answers those questions. But in New York, there’s always something every year. … It might be a little different for Andy. Other than that, I don’t think so.”

Jeter, the Yankees’ captain since June 2003, worked out at the Yankees’ minor league complex Tuesday along with catcher Jorge Posada and first baseman-outfielder Shelley Duncan. Jeter doesn’t see his role evolving despite the increasing number of younger players on the team.

“I don’t think it will be anything different,” Jeter said. “People tend to ask a lot of questions. You can relate to what those guys are going through. Coming through the organization, the expectations, you’re supposed to come in and help out right away.