Gymnast Ruggeri proves self against nation’s best

By Daniel Johnson

Things went well for Paul Ruggeri this weekend, to say the least.

The freshman from Manilus, N.Y., was enjoying a great start to his time in Champaign, winning three event titles in his last two meets. But Ruggeri had what head coach Yoshi Hayasaki called “no question his best performance” when it may have mattered most on an individual basis. He finished tied for eighth this weekend at the Winter Cup Challenge, an event that featured reigning all-around gold medalist Paul Hamm.

Although Hamm and other professional gymnasts comprised eight of the 10 best scores, Ruggeri’s total of 171.100 was the second-highest collegiate score, bested only by Arlington Heights, Ill., native and current Stanford Cardinal, David Sender.

Ruggeri’s score will likely garner more interest from USA Gymnastics in the selection of the U.S. Senior National Team. The team will be chosen this week, with seven spots to be filled. Four spots will be given to gymnasts based on a point selection system, and the other three will be given to Winter Cup participants.

“Paul hasn’t had a chance to compete completely healthy; he seemed to be all there this weekend,” Hayasaki said. “He’s been training extremely hard; he’s a very diligent worker. If he continues at this pace, who knows, he could have a shot at making one of the (the U.S. Men’s Senior or Olympic) teams.”

Ruggeri’s performance, along with Illinois commit Tyler Mizoguchi’s score of 164.750, represent a strong future that Hayasaki said he is excited to see.

On the other end of the age spectrum, seniors Wes Haagensen and Tyler Yamauchi both qualified for the second day, with Haagensen finishing in 11th place; Yamauchi finished in 40th place but only competed in three events. Haagensen recently took some time off due to a shoulder injury, something that wasn’t easy for the dedicated gymnast.

“Wesley was coming off an injury this week so it was extremely hard for him,” assistant coach Justin Spring, a former Illinois gymnast, said.

“I’ve been in that situation before where you have had to take time off because of an injury, but the fact that he had to do it now was a rough time for him as an individual. (Having him take time off before Winter Cup) was really done in the interest of the team. He wants to push, but I know from being in the same spot in the past that you can’t.”