Blackhawks, Sox honor lives lost during Northern Illinois shooting

Chicago Blackhawks center Jonathan Toews sports an NIU decal on his helmet against the Colorado Avalanche on Sunday in Chicago. Jerry Lai

AP

By The Associated Press

The Chicago Blackhawks and White Sox paid tribute to the victims of the shooting at Northern Illinois.

The Blackhawks will wear NIU Huskies decals on their helmets during Sunday’s home game, while White Sox general manager Ken Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen wore Northern Illinois caps Saturday during the first day of spring training.

The Blackhawks play the Colorado Avalanche on Sunday. The team announced that it also plans to wear the decals at St. Louis on Tuesday night and at home against Minnesota on Wednesday night.

The decal replicates the overlay of a black ribbon and Huskies logo that appears on the university’s Web site.

The team will observe a moment of silence before the national anthem at Sunday’s game.

Williams once had a niece attend Northern Illinois.

“More than anything, it’s a Chicago thing,” he said. “Showing a little bit of support and understanding.”