Illini basketball player Carlwell chooses to leave team

By Jeff LaBelle

Head coach Bruce Weber announced Wednesday afternoon that reserve center Brian Carlwell will no longer play for Illinois.

“Brian has faced adversity and dealt with injuries during much of his time here and feels it is in his best interest to get a fresh start next season,” Weber said in a press release. “We appreciate the contribution he has made to our program and wish him the best, and we will support him in any we can regarding his future at another university.”

Carlwell, a 6-foot-11 265 pound native of Maywood, Ill., plans to transfer to another program after the spring semester, possibly another Division I school.

“I’d like to thank the University of Illinois and the coaches for the opportunity I have had here, along with the fans and most of all my teammates for their support these last two years,” Carlwell said in the release. “The close friendships I have with my teammates has made this a very difficult decision for me. I am going to miss these guys, but I feel this decision is what is right for me at this time.”

Carlwell said he plans to attend Wednesday nights game versus Wisconsin.

For a full story, pick up a copy of Thursday’s Daily Illini.