Forsberg to finish year with Colorado

Colorado Avalanche forward Peter Forsberg stretches in Denver on Dec. 27, 2003. Avalanche officials announced Monday that Forsberg, who has been struggling with a foot and ankle injury, will rejoin the Avalanche for the rest of the 2007-2008 season. David Zalubowski, The Associated Press

By Pat Graham

DENVER – The Avalanche and Peter Forsberg have agreed on a deal to bring the NHL’s 2003 MVP back to Colorado through the end of the season.

Forsberg will earn about $1.1 million prorated from a one-year, $5 million deal, since there are about six weeks left in the regular season.

Forsberg won two Stanley Cups in his nine seasons with the Avalanche and won the Hart Trophy in 2003 after scoring 29 goals and adding 77 assists.

But foot and ankle injuries have plagued him in recent years.

Until Monday’s announcement, it appeared Forsberg wouldn’t return to a team this season. His agent, Don Baizley, informed teams last week that Forsberg didn’t have enough confidence in the strength of his surgically repaired right foot to play.

The Avalanche were one of a handful of teams vying for Forsberg’s services. Philadelphia, Minnesota, Chicago and Ottawa were also believed to be in the hunt.

Forsberg spent 11/2 seasons with the Flyers, scoring 115 points in 100 games, before being dealt to Nashville at the trade deadline last season.

“We’re proud to announce to our fans that Peter Forsberg has decided to come back and play with our franchise where he’s enjoyed so much success early in his career,” Avalanche general manager Francois Giguere said.