Softball team puts out Flames in Chicago

Outfielder Sarah Bryers takes her turn at the plate during the first inning of the game against DePaul University at Eichelberger Field on Saturday, April 28. Erica Magda

Beck Diefenbach

By Rich Mayor

It seems as though the softball team’s offense has arrived just in time.

After scoring a bleak 10 runs in five games at the Judi Garman Classic last weekend, the Illini (16-16) crossed the plate almost three times that amount in a single night, going off for 27 runs in a doubleheader against the Illinois-Chicago Flames (9-20).

In the first game of Tuesday’s double-dip, centerfielder Sarah Bryers filled up the stat sheet, hitting two home runs, including the first grand slam of her career, and knocking in a school record seven runs. All nine starters had at least one hit and scored at least one run in the first game, a 17-3 shellacking of the Flames. Bryers’ record surpassed the previous record of six set by Rachelle Coriddi in 2003 and matched by Angelena Mexicano in 2006.

“I contribute my performance last night to my teammates,” Bryers said. “They were able to consistently get things started.”

Illinois did not let up in the back end of the doubleheader, building a 9-0 lead after six innings and eventually taking the game 11-2.

Senior shortstop Mexicano was not to be outdone on the night by Bryers, as she was a perfect 6-for-6 at the plate with three walks. Mexicano scored six runs, including one home run, and tallied four RBIs.

Junior catcher Lana Armstrong also contributed seven RBIs in the two game set, and senior third baseman Shanna Diller knocked in four. The young guns helped out as well, as freshmen Hollie Pinchback and Audrey Gallien each added three.

After this eruption of offense in Chicago, the Illini turn their focus to the future, where a doubleheader at the newly-renovated Eichelberger Field at Martin Stadium awaits them on Thursday at 4 p.m., followed by the opening of Big Ten play at Ohio State on Sunday.

Illinois will play two games against the Ramblers of Loyola (6-11) on Thursday, a team they have defeated each of their past six meetings.

“We’re really looking forward to (the second season),” Bryers said. “During the first half of the season we didn’t really perform the way we’d hoped to, but after getting those two big wins (Tuesday), we know exactly what this team is made of and we’re looking forward to carrying that on the rest of the season.”

The Illini are anticipating finally settling down and playing their first game on their home turf after opening their season with a grueling 32-game stretch on the road.

“We’re really excited and looking forward to it,” said Bryers. “The Illini Pride comes out to cheer us on, and with all the fan support, it gets us really fired up. It’ll just be great to be out there.”