Mexicano breaks Big Ten home run record

By Kate Munson

While the results of Wednesday’s doubleheader against Southern Illinois (27-23, 12-8 Missouri Valley Conference) at Eichelberger Field at Martin Stadium were mixed, one Illini made the games memorable. Illinois senior shortstop Angelena Mexicano tied the Big Ten single season home run record in game one and broke it in game two.

The first game started out looking like a pitcher’s duel with neither team crossing the plate until the fifth inning. Unfortunately, the scoring didn’t go in favor of the Illini (30-29, 8-10 Big Ten) as they fell to the Salukis 6-3.

Getting the start for the Fighting Illini in game one was sophomore pitcher Christine Christopoulos. The lefty went four innings without allowing a run before Southern Illinois struck in the fifth.

“Christine threw well today,” head coach Terri Sullivan said. “Especially through the first four innings.”

Christopoulos allowed her first walk to lead off the fifth, and the Salukis followed it up with a base hit. Following a two-run double by junior designated player Katie Schmidt that put Southern Illinois up 2-0, Christopoulos was pulled in favor of senior pitcher Claire DeVreese.

Two more Southern Illinois runners would score before DeVreese recorded the final out of the inning.

Illinois managed just one run in their half of the inning, but it was a milestone setting score. Mexicano belted homer number 23 of the season, tying the Big Ten record. The tie was broken quickly as Mexicano would hit number 24 to break the record in the night cap.

“That wasn’t my goal to beat (the record) coming into the game, but it’s a great feeling,” Mexicano said. “I’m speechless.”

The Big Ten single season home run record didn’t stand for long.

Northwestern’s Garland Cooper recorded the mark just last season.

Laura Espinoza of Arizona holds the NCAA single season record with 37 long balls set in 1995.

Southern Illinois continued scoring in the sixth, driving in two on a double by senior shortstop Becky Wegmann. Christopoulos then re-entered the game and recorded the final two outs of the inning.

Once again, the Fighting Illini answered with a solo shot, this blast coming off the bat of freshman designated player Hollie Pinchback to draw the team closer, down 6-2.

Senior left fielder Makenzie Smith led off the seventh inning with a solo shot of her own for the Orange and Blue, but it wouldn’t be enough as Illinois fell to the Salukis.

In the second game, sophomore pitcher Ashley Wright stepped up for the Illini, pitching seven shutout innings as the Fighting Illini defeated the Salukis 4-0.

“Pitching is important this time of year,” Sullivan said.

“(Wright) came in with a real good game plan. We were able to use a lot of her pitches and she threw them with authority. She came in after a loss the game before, and she decided she was going to be the leader.”

Meanwhile, Illinois’ offense was able to strike first, driving in three runs in a third inning that featured a two-out, two-run double by Pinchback.

But highlighting the scoring for the Orange and Blue once again was Mexicano who went 1-for-3 with two runs scored and a stolen base to accompany her record-setting home run.

“I’m very excited for her,” Sullivan said. “Her hitting spreads to the team, and it couldn’t happen to a better kid.”