Illini men and women to host Big Ten tournament

Freshman Will Schaeffer clears the pole vault bar during the Illinois Twilight meet on April 29. Susan Kantor

By Jim Shay

Both the men’s and women’s track teams will be in the spotlight this weekend at the Illinois Track Stadium, as the Illini prepare to host the 2008 Big Ten Outdoor Track & Field Championships.

The women are hoping for a repeat of last year’s outdoor championships, where head coach Gary Winckler and the Illini captured a share of the conference championship with Michigan, the coach’s sixth title at Illinois.

Winckler has confidence that his current lineup is poised for a strong performance in the Championships, which begin at noon on Friday and run through Sunday.

“We definitely have some individuals who should be able to fight for Big Ten titles,” Winckler said in a press release. “If Aja Evans throws the way she’s been throwing, you have to look at her as one of the favorites in the shot put. Briana Cunningham and LaNeisha Waller should both be up there in the hurdling events, as well as Tiara Armstrong in the 100 meters. The 1,500 meters field is very tough, but Angela Bizzarri should be able to place well in that and in the 5,000 meters.”

Like their female counterparts, the Illini men have also experienced success in the Big Ten outdoor championships in capturing 28 titles, second in conference history only to Michigan’s 30.

Their success has not translated much in recent years, however, with their last title coming in 1994. Under head coach Wayne Angel, the Illini have failed to finish higher than fifth at the Championships.

Angel emphasized that a number of his athletes have an especially good chance of reversing Illinois’ fortunes.

“We are aiming to score three athletes in the 400 meters, with All-American Gakologelwang Masheto being the favorite along with teammates Yawusa Kinda and Brandon Gray,” Angel said in a press release. “Greg Shroka had an outstanding performance in the high jump at our last meet and is a contender for the title if he does the same this weekend. Dominique Worsley is due to win his first Big Ten title in the 100 or 200 meters, and we hope to continue the outstanding Illinois tradition in the 4x400m relay.”

Tickets for the Championships will be sold by the stadium’s northwest entrance Friday and out of the baseball press box across from the northwest entrance on Saturday and Sunday. All-session passes, which cover all three days of the competition, and single-day tickets will be available.

Big Ten Outdoor Championship notes

• The 2008 Big Ten Outdoor Track and Field Championships will be televised tape-delayed by the Big Ten Network on Thursday, May 22 at 7 p.m. with Brent Stover calling the action, with analysis from Illini alum Craig Virgin, Suzy Favor Hamilton and Butler By’note.

Men’s track and field

• The Illini won three event titiles at last year’s Big Ten Outdoor Championships at Penn State. Gakologelwang Masheto won the 400m, Adrian Walker took the 400m hurdles and the 4x400m relay of Walker, Trammell Smith, Paul Johnson and Masheto also won.
  • The Illini’s highest Big Ten outdoor finish under head coach Wayne Angel was in 2005, when they finished fourth.

Women’s track and field

• The Illini are the reigning Big Ten Outdoor Champions, along with Michigan who they shared the 2007 title with. Senior Yvonne Mensah won four Big Ten titles: the 100 meters, 200 meters, triple jump and as the 4x100m relay anchor.
  • The 2007 title marked head coach Gary Winckler’s sixth Big Ten outdoor championship at Illinois, and his 11th total. Winckler also led the Illini to outdoor crowns in 1988, 1989, 1992, 1995 and 2005.
  • Source: FightingIllini.com