Block I student tickets sold out

By Meghan Montemurro

Following Ron Zook and the Fighting Illini’s improbable 9-4 record and trip to the Rose Bowl last season, Illinois football tickets have become an increasingly hot commodity.

University of Illinois officials announced Thursday the 1,800 Block I student section tickets have sold out for the upcoming 2008 football season. In school history, this is the earliest date the section had sold out.

“Selling out the Block I means a lot to Illinois football and the student support for the program,” said Illinois head coach Ron Zook in a press release. “I can’t say enough about the enthusiasm and excitement they add to the gameday environment. When our team climbed into the stands after wins last year, it became obvious that they felt a strong bond with the student section.”

The Division of Intercollegiate Athletics increased the allotment of Block I season tickets from 1,200 to 1,800 following the creation of the new student section in the North End Zone in 2007. For the 2008 season, six games will be played at home in the newly renovated Memorial Stadium with the home-opener penciled in for Sept. 6 vs. Eastern Illinois.

Regular student section season tickets still remain available for a “Red Zone” price of $77 in honor of Illini Pro and College Hall of Famer Harold “Red” Grange.