Two prep juniors say they’ll play for Purdue in 2010

By The Associated Press

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Purdue has picked up two basketball commitments for the freshman class of 2010.

Travis Carroll, a 6-foot-9 center at Danville High School, said he would play for Boilermakers coach Matt Painter’s men’s team, and DeeDee Williams, a 6-foot forward at Indianapolis Ben Davis, said she would play for coach Sharon Versyp’s women’s team. Both of them will be high school juniors this fall and cannot sign letters of intent until fall 2009.

“Every time I talk to the coaching staff, I like them more and more,” Carroll told the Journal & Courier after a visit to Purdue last week.

“I visited with the players and had a chance to play with them. The program coach Painter is building is a really good one. It’s going to win championships,” Carroll said. “I thought it would be good to play for something like that.”

Carroll averaged 20.3 points and 13.8 rebounds last season, leading Danville to an 18-6 record and a sectional tourney championship.

Williams, who averaged 6.5 points, 4.2 rebounds and 3.9 assists for Ben Davis last season, said she picked Purdue over Notre Dame, Indiana, Michigan and Wisconsin.

“I will not back out on the commitment that I’ve made,” she said. “This is the place for me and I’m going to stay with it. … I think I will fit very well at Purdue and how they play.”