Illinois alumnus Anderson advances in doubles bracket

By Jim Shay

As Wimbledon 2008 enters its second and final week, former Illini Kevin Anderson remains alive in the gentleman’s doubles draw.

Anderson and partner Robert Lindstedt of Sweden captured a walkover win in Monday’s third round against the No. 12-seeded duo of Marcelo Melo and Andre Sa, both of Brazil.

The walkover victory sets up a quarterfinal match with the tournament’s second-seeded pair, Daniel Nestor of Canada and Nenad Zimonjic of Serbia, when play resumes on Tuesday.

Monday’s win came on the heels of Friday’s straight-set triumph over Michael Kohlmann of Germany and Jean-Claude Scherrer of Switzerland, 7-6 (7-4), 6-4, 6-2.

A native of Johannesburg, South Africa, Anderson played an integral role in Illinois’ runner-up finish in the 2007 NCAA Team Championships, and teamed with Ryan Rowe to win the program’s third NCAA doubles title. Anderson departed from Illinois following his junior year to join the professional tennis circuit.

Two other former Illini, Amer Delic and Rajeev Ram, also took to the courts at the All England Club last week but flamed out in Wimbledon’s opening rounds.

Ram and partner Bobby Reynolds, both of the U.S.A., managed a first-round victory in straight sets over Delic and Brendan Evans on Thursday.

Nestor and Zimonjic then prevented a third round doubles face off between Ram and Anderson with a 6-1, 7-6 (8-6), 2-6, 7-6 (7-1) win over Ram and Reynolds on Saturday.

Anderson and Lindstedt’s quarterfinal match is scheduled to begin Tuesday at noon on court 11.