Big Ten Network’s “Journey” starts with Illinois football

By Laura Hettiger

Finally, the wait is over. The Big Ten Network is here.

As almost every Fighting Illini sports fan knows, Comcast and the BTN reached an agreement over the summer, allowing Illinois residents to access the network.

But what does this mean for Illini football fans? Well, quite a bit, actually.

“I think that the great thing is that many more people will be able to see the network, starting this fall,” said Mike Vest , Media Relations Manager for the Big Ten Network. “We will be airing a number of classic games involving the Illini. ‘Illinois Football: The Journey’ is going to be an all-access behind-the-scenes show.”

On September 2, ‘The Journey’ will become the latest reality TV show to hit campus, as it follows the Illini football team through the season.

Even though the Big Ten Conference boasts historically powerhouse football teams, including Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin, Illinois is being featured for different reasons.

“The big attraction for Illinois football is whether or not Illinois football will be able to do it again,” Vest said, referencing the team’s unexpected run to the Rose Bowl last season.

“A lot of people outside of the Illinois program were surprised at the success they had at that level. We look for the most intriguing story lines we can find.”

A Cinderella run to the top is the type of story the BTN feels will really engage and captivate its audience. But with all the new media attention, one has to wonder what effect it will have on the players.

The BTN’s main goal has been to make the network appear as though its employees are “flies on the wall,” Vest said.

In order to get full coverage of the team, cameras started rolling at training camp in Rantoul and have since moved on to practices, the weight room and will even be there when Zook makes his postgame speeches.

Benn and his teammates have enjoyed the constant access to a network that showcases only their conference.

“Big Ten Network is kind of like ESPN for us,” he said.

The students, however, are looking at the broader picture, and what the network’s availability means for all sports rather than just football.

“Now you have the opportunity to see every game, no matter where they’re playing,” said Jason Kaye, Senior Advisor for Illini Pride. “Soccer, baseball, wrestling; it’s really great for the University.”

But for now, regardless of how the season actually turns out, viewers are ready for Illinois football – all-access, all the time.