Football legends share thoughts on past, present stadium

Former Illinois linebacker J Leman watches the game against Eastern Illinois from the sidelines Saturday. Leman, who signed as a free agent with the Minnesota Vikings after graduation in 2008, was back at Memorial Stadium with numerous other team alumni Erica Magda

By Wes Anderson

While the Illini cruised to a 47-21 victory over the Panthers on Saturday, Illinois football standouts from years past spent game day taking in the changes the program has undergone and reminiscing about their playing days.

The brand new facilities that made their debut on Saturday – particularly the press box and cavernous strength training facility – were received warmly, if perhaps with a hint of envy.

Brad Hopkins, a left tackle for Illinois from 1989-92, blocked for the likes of Jeff George and was a member of the 1990 team that shared the Big Ten title with Michigan. If he had had access to the amenities the Illini enjoy today, things might have been very different.

“We might have had a couple of Big Ten championships if they had all this when we were playing,” Hopkins said.

With the new structures in place, the Memorial Stadium of the early ’90s bore little resemblance to the newly-renovated stadium that made its debut on Saturday, Hopkins said.

“That scoreboard there (on the south horseshoe) was on the north side, a big old scoreboard, you could see IMPE on the other side of it,” Hopkins said, pointing to what is now the student section. “We used to stand out there on that cold field, and the wind would be coming right through there. Now, it’s not even IMPE anymore – what is that?”

Hopkins, who went on to play 13 years in the NFL for the Oilers and Titans and lives in Nashville, Tenn., also has not-so-fond memories of “The Bubble,” an inflated dome placed over the field for winter practices. In 2001, the Bubble was finally retired and replaced by the Irwin Indoor Practice Facility.

“The Bubble was horrible, man. It stunk, and when you’d come down the tunnel, your feet would be rubbing the turf, and you’d hit that door, and you got hit with some voltage,” Hopkins said.

Former linebacker Dana Howard, who holds the school record for career tackles and was named one of the top-10 linebackers in Illini history during the game, also wished he had access to the perks of the present during his days at Illinois.

“It would be crazy, not only for us as players, but what we could get as a University, the type of recruits we’d be getting,” Howard said.

The throwback jerseys unveiled for the home opener also helped fuse past and present traditions. Wide receiver Arrelious Benn said he wished he could wear the retro uniforms “every week.”

Howard, a two-time All-American who played from 1991-94, also liked the look and said the jerseys can help to break up the monotony of a long season.

“It’s just nice, having throwbacks. I wish one of those big games, against Ohio State, we just bust out with them,” Howard said. “Our junior or senior year against Michigan, we went out with white pants and came back (at halftime) in blue. It gets the guys riled up a little bit.”