New faces highlighted ULL game

By Laura Hettiger

With a 100-plus man roster, the Fighting Illini football team has more than its share of familiar faces. Die-hard fans can speculate who will be starting the game before the opening kick-off ever leaves the kicker’s foot.

That’s why fans, players and coaches alike were all surprised when Josh Brent, a sophomore defensive lineman, was not in uniform for either the Missouri or Eastern Illinois games. During the 2007 season, the Bloomington, Ill., native saw playing time in 10 games as a true freshman. After the team’s first win against EIU, head coach Ron Zook did not want to address Brent’s absence.

“He had a relapse and that’s all I’m going to say about it,” Zook said. “He’s got some issues he’s got to get cleaned up.”

Apparently in the week between Eastern and Louisiana-Lafayette, Brent did get cleaned up – enough to where he was not only able to play, but recorded two tackles on the game.

A solid threat weighing in at 315 pounds and standing 6 feet 2 inches, the rest of the Illini were happy to be reunited on the field with their teammates.

“Having Josh in there is a great thing because the other team has to scheme for a guy that big and strong,” fellow defensive lineman David Lindquist said. “It kind of frees me up sometimes on the pass rush because he gets such a good push back there, which I know he’s going to do.”

But Brent isn’t the only player who made a splash being back in the Orange and Blue. Junior wide receiver Jeff Cumberland, who just returned from an injury, and true freshman defensive lineman Corey Liuget both found success against the Ragin’ Cajuns.

Cumberland suffered a foot injury at Camp Rantoul and has since been focusing on rehab and getting back to full strength. Though he was only used in moderation, the 6-foot-5-inch junior did get playing time.

“I forget exactly how many plays he played Saturday, but he played, and he had a drop but it was a bad ball … But he’s out there running and has no pain, everything’s fine and he’s got a big smile on his face,” Zook said Tuesday. “You know, sometimes when something is taken from you, it makes a little difference, and he’s worked hard to get back.”

Cumberland switched from tight end to receiver midway through the Illini’s Rose Bowl season, and the change seemed to pay off. Against USC, he caught three passes for 37 yards while battling a tough Trojans defense.

And like Brent, he was gladly welcomed back in uniform.

“Anytime you get guys with experience that can come back that have been out it will obviously help the team,” senior offensive lineman Ryan McDonald said. “I think we’ve been missing Jeff, he’s a big target and he can run. If you get him the ball, he’s going to make plays.”

The team is hoping that the extra week off will help Cumberland’s foot fully heal for the Big Ten opener at Penn State.

Liuget is another impact player who has caught the eye of Illini Nation. Standing by idly as Illinois lost to Missouri, Liuget made his debut in a big way against Eastern. Hailing from Miami, Fla., he recorded five tackles against the Panthers – good enough to him tie for the fourth-highest amount of tackles in the game. Liuget added another four tackles against ULL.

As a true freshman, Liuget has a lot of learning left to do but has received support from his teammates along the way.

“Corey has been getting some more significant playing time lately,” McDonald said. “If you ask me, he’s going to be a great player here. I played against him some at the end of Camp (Rantoul) and this week. It’s astounding how athletic he is. He’s going to be something special by the time he leaves here.”

If everything goes the way the Illini have planned, Brent, Cumberland and Liuget will remain in uniform for the rest of the season. With no “issues,” injuries or inexperience creeping up, Zook is focusing on Big Ten play and hoping his team stays united.

“To be a good team you have to play as a team and be a team,” Zook said. “As a coach, what you want to be able to do is have your players lay it on the line and do everything that they could possibly do to win.”