Cubs fans on campus ready for postseason

Chicago Cubs baseball fans celebrate during a post-season rally in Daley Plaza on Tuesday in Chicago. The Cubs take on the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game 1 of the NL divisional series on Wednesday. Nam Y. Huh, The Associated Press

ASSOCIATED PRESS

By Alex Iniguez

And so it begins.

In a season filled with sky-high expectations, the Chicago Cubs have as good a chance as ever to do something they haven’t done in quite some time – fulfill them. Wednesday marks the beginning of the 2008 MLB playoffs and a Division Series matchup pitting Chicago against the Los Angeles Dodgers. And from the looks of it, Champaign is ready for October baseball.

An employee at Legends, 522 E. Green St. in Champaign, who wished to remain anonymous, said he expects the bar to be crowded at game time. Sophomore Alex Kueny cited the campus bar as a possible destination Wednesday evening.

“I plan on watching the game out somewhere with a bunch of other Cubs fans,” Kueny said. “Maybe I’ll go to Legends or Murphy’s.”

Another sophomore, Matt Landstrom, has slightly different plans – ones that don’t include as many Cubs fans joining in on the watch party.

“I’m probably just going to watch the game at my apartment,” Landstrom said. “We’ve got a sweet TV. I probably won’t have people over though really, because most of the people I live with are White Sox fans.”

For those diehard fans still trying to make the trip to Wrigleyville, ticket prices to Wednesday’s game in Chicago are currently ranging from $94-$2000 on StubHub.com. Tickets were sold at an online raffle through Cubs.com on Sept. 22 and 23.

Fans watching from home, however, can view the game on a more modest budget Wednesday on TBS at 6:30 CST.

Many Cubs fans’ expectations shot sky-high as the regular season came to a close. Now that the Northsiders have a one-in-eight chance to win the World Series, belief is at an all-time high for the fans bleeding blue and red. Ryan Dempster is set to start Game 1 at Wrigley, where he holds a 14-3 record on the season, against the Dodgers’ Derek Lowe.

Shelby Eisenhauer, senior at Judah Christian School in Champaign, has very high hopes.

“I expect them to win the World Series,” Eisenhauer said. “I’m excited about Dempster starting the first game. It gives them a chance to get off to a good start.”

Kueny’s goals for his favorite team are lower – but only slightly.

“I’m expecting them to make it to the NLCS (National League Championship Series), at least, and hopefully the World Series,” Kueny said. “Lou Piniella seems older and more experienced than Joe Torre, so he’s the better manager, which gives the Cubs an edge.”

So what’s the key to a Cubs victory in the NLDS? Eisenhauer summed it up pretty easily.

“The Dodgers have been playing pretty good lately,” Eisenhauer said. “But as long as we can keep Manny (Ramirez) in check, I think we’ll be alright.”

Landstrom, like many people, realizes the playoffs are all about which team gets hot at the right time.

“Being a Cubs fan, I know not to expect anything,” Landstrom said. “Anything can happen though.”