Quarterback accepts adult diversion program

By James VandeBerg

Backup quarterback Eddie McGee has agreed to participate in Champaign County’s adult diversion program after being arrested on charges of aggravated battery Saturday.

“(The program) offers an opportunity to avoid criminal charges by accepting responsibility for criminal activity,” said Champaign County State’s Attorney Julia Rietz.

The program, which approximately 700 people participate in each year, requires participants to appear in front of a panel of community volunteers who make recommendations on the appropriate consequences, Rietz said.

Programs offered include community service, counseling, and anger management classes, she said.

The program is generally offered to first offenders and in lower level cases, such as battery, theft, underage drinking and lower-level property damage, according to Rietz.

“As long as they do what they’re supposed to and stay out of trouble, no charges are filed,” she said.

McGee’s panel hearing date has yet to be determined, Rietz said. Panels are usually held within a month after agreeing to take part in the program, she added.