Sherer officially Wisconsin’s starter at QB

Charlie Neibergall, The Associated Press

AP

By Scott Bauer

MADISON, Wis. – Dustin Sherer will start at quarterback for Wisconsin against Illinois on Saturday. After that, there are no guarantees.

Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema put Sherer atop the depth chart Monday for the first time this season, with former starter Allan Evridge listed as co-backup along with Scott Tolzien.

Bielema said he liked some of what he saw from Sherer in the 38-16 loss to Iowa, even though the junior threw two interceptions and no touchdowns in his first start of the season. He was 17-of-34 for 161 yards.

“Dustin didn’t play a clean game, didn’t by any means set the world on fire,” Bielema said.

Tolzien, a sophomore, went 4-of-7 for 90 yards and one interception in the fourth quarter against Iowa, his first game of the season. Evridge, a senior transfer from Kansas State, didn’t play after starting the previous six games.

Bielema said Sherer will be the starter for the game against Illinois, but hasn’t committed to him beyond Saturday.

“He definitely knows that this week he’ll have an opportunity to go out there and get himself right for a game on Saturday,” Bielema said.

Affirming the change at quarterback comes as Wisconsin (3-4, 0-4 Big Ten) is struggling for answers during a four-game losing streak.

On Monday, Bielema addressed everything from whether he should stop wearing his signature Wisconsin wind breaker on the sideline during games to whether he’s feeling heat to win from Barry Alvarez, who as athletic director hand-picked Bielema to be his successor.

Bielema said Alvarez remains deeply involved with the program offering advice and frequently attends team practices. Alvarez, as he normally does, watched Bielema’s news conference from the back of the room.

“Coach wants to win,” Bielema said of Alvarez. “I want to win. … Obviously I know his name is going to be tied in with mine and vice versa.”

Wisconsin has been reeling since it was up 19-0 at halftime against Michigan on Sept. 27.

The Wolverines came back to win that game and the Badgers have fallen from No. 8 in the country to being unranked and fighting just to win three out of their last five games in order to become bowl eligible.

The losing streak included defeats at home against No. 3 Penn State and No. 10 Ohio State, in addition to Michigan and Iowa.

“Everybody is disappointed in the results of the last four weeks,” Bielema said. “The only thing that’s going to cure that is winning.”

The 0-4 start to the Big Ten season is Wisconsin’s worst since 1996. They’ve been outscored 86-23 in the past two games and 131-65 over the past four.