Illinois’ big men dominate Orange and Blue Scrimmage

Alex Legion goes for a layup during the Orange and Blue Scrimmage at Assembly Hall on Sunday. Legion transferred from Kentucky this year. Erica Magda

By Jeff LaBelle

Fans got a double dose of “Mike” during Sunday’s Orange and Blue Scrimmage at Assembly Hall.

Two Illinois big men, Mike Tisdale and Mike Davis, stood out during the showcase that featured a bevy of lineup changes and player pairings which Illinois head coach Bruce Weber will use to finalize his starting lineup.

The two towers put on a show, hitting shots from all over the court, and combined to score 40 points. The 7-foot-1 Tisdale even stepped back to near three-point distance on two occasions, making both shots.

After a slow start, Weber said the young players took advantage of their opportunities.

“It was a little slow starting, but then I thought some guys started stepping up,” Weber said. “We have a lot of young guys that haven’t played a lot of minutes, so I told them before, this is really a valuable thing for them.”

Tisdale, all but cemented in the team’s starting five, scored 26 points on 11-for-15 shooting. Davis, on the other hand, is battling at least four other players for time at power forward. He was 7-of-8 from the field with 14 points and said he was glad he could show his abilities as a stand-alone shooter.

“I can hit mid-range all day,” he said. “On off days I come into the gym and shoot 500 shots. I’m showing everyone I can shoot right now.”

“I’m ready for the season,” Davis added. “I told coach I can step in and start if he wants me to start.”

Tisdale, replacing the team’s top scorer from one season ago, center Shaun Pruitt, is well aware of his team’s need for a low post scorer. Even if that’s not his forte, Tisdale said he’ll make an effort to become one.

“I’m working on it, man,” he said. “I think the most important thing right now is to get more aggressive in the post, especially with rebounding.”

Weber pointed out that Davis, after his quick start, wasn’t as effective as the scrimmage progressed. It’s something Weber will continue to monitor.

“He’s got to do it consistently,” Weber said. “Last year, early in the season, (he had) tips, dunks run outs, all these things. But then all of a sudden it was “Mike, where are you?”

Legion struggles

Guard Alex Legion, a sophomore transfer from Kentucky, struggled early with his shot and finished 5-of-16 from the field with 14 points. Legion, unable to play competitively until mid-December per transfer rules, said it’s going to take time to get used to his surroundings.

“Everyone has their bad days,” he said. “I started off a little slow, I got the first-game jitters. It was my first time in the orange and blue out there, just getting used to the setting, and over time that will come for me.”

Weber said he hopes there isn’t too much pressure on Legion, one of the team’s top shooters, because he is such a young player. Legion only played in six games as a freshman.

“I’m sure there’s some high expectations. He was very highly touted, people know he can score,” Weber said. “He’s not an easy situation. Whether we’re playing good or playing bad (when he can start playing), he’s gonna have the pressure of fitting in if we’re playing good or saving us if we’re playing bad.”

Bill Cole out

Bill Cole didn’t participate in the scrimmage because of a left ankle sprain sustained late during this Thursday’s practice. Team officials said he should be back in action sometime this week.