Illinois will test progress against Florida Southern

Illini forward Mike Davis dribbles the ball down the court at the Orange & Blue Scrimmage at Assembly Hall on Sunday. Davis is fighting for a starting spot at power forward. Erica Magda

By Jeremy Werner

Illinois’ exhibition game against Florida Southern should provide the men’s basketball team with a test of its progress during the offseason and the first two weeks of practice.

But the Illini are wary of underestimating the Moccasins, a team ranked No. 2 in the Division II Bulletin.

Florida Southern head coach Linc Darner, who played at Purdue when Weber was an assistant coach there, will bring a feisty Moccasins team that likes to shoot three pointers and use a full-court press.

“Last year, Michigan State lost to Grand Valley (State) and Ohio State lost to Findlay (in exhibition games), so we’re going to have to come ready to play,” Illinois coach Bruce Weber said.

“For us, it’s just another step. For these guys, because we have so many inexperienced guys, every dress rehearsal, every moment they can get in front of crowds is important just to continue to make some progress.”

The exhibition is especially important for sophomore Mike Davis and junior Dominique Keller, who are battling for the open starting spot at power forward. Davis scored 14 points in Sunday’s Orange and Blue Scrimmage, while Keller grabbed a team-high nine rebounds.

“I think Mike Davis stepped up a little bit in the game the other day and made some shots,” Weber said. “I still think we need both him and Dominique.

“We may play Calvin and go small in these games. Some of these early games they may have 6-foot-5 four men, so now that would give us the option with Calvin to play there.”

With a starting spot alongside Chester Frazier, Demetri McCamey, Trent Meacham and Mike Tisdale up for grabs, the post players have pushed each other in practices.

“Practice has been pretty heated,” Davis said. “The big guys have just been battling with each other.”

Weber hasn’t hinted at which player is ahead in the competition for the starting spot. The Illinois coach said he’s looking for Davis to play tougher on the defensive end and for Keller to play looser and not think so much.

“He’s overwhelmed,” Weber said of Keller. “He just needs to get the head cleared up.

“He’s got all the school stuff, all the basketball stuff, and it just seems like he’s a little overwhelmed. It’d be nice if he can have a little progress and just play.”

Bill Cole, who is also competing for playing time in the post, practiced Thursday. But Weber said the sophomore forward is unlikely to play in Sunday’s exhibition due to an ankle injury.

Keller, who will play in his first competitive game with the Illini, said he’s excited to compete for a starting spot in front of the biggest crowd of his life.

“We’ve been going at it every day,” Keller said. “It’s nothing personal. We’re friends. We talk all the time, but it’s basically whoever wants it more.”