Pregame wavelengths: How the Illini get in tune for a game

By Daniel Johnson

Eddie McGee, QB/WR #10

1. “Feelin’ It” by Jay-Z

2. “Dead Presidents” by Jay-Z

3. “Hustlaz Ambition” by Young Jeezy

4. “Success” by Jay-Z

McGee on his playlist

“The first two songs are from the ‘Reasonable Doubt’ album by Jay-Z. I’ll listen to the whole CD forward and backward, and when we get on the bus to the stadium, I have a playlist that I’ll listen to, it’s more upbeat, gets me hyped for the game.”

Michael Hoomanawanui, TE #16

“Over The Rainbow” by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole

Various songs by Young Jeezy and Lil Wayne

Various Hawaiian reggae songs

Hoomanawanui on his playlist

“My iPod is filled mostly with Hawaiian reggae. In the hotel, and on the way here, I’m mostly listening to that to stay relaxed. I’ll try to build it up toward the game, but I want to stay relaxed before it.”

Will Davis, DE #81

1. “Viva La Vida” by Coldplay

Various songs by Lil Wayne and Jay-Z

2. “Dey Know” by Shawty Lo

3. “Peace with ‘Inches’ Speech” by Al Pacino’s

character in “Any Given Sunday”

Davis on his first three choices

“Coldplay usually relaxes me, it helps me to think about the game and just making plays. I know it’s an unusual choice. But you listen to some to get you hyped and you listen to some music to help relax you. It’s about making plays, I think that’s why so many people listen now. Coach Zook is always talking about visualize yourself making plays so when you get there it’s nothing new to you. That’s what music means to me, and helps me do.”

Davis on ‘Inches’

“It’s popular. Some of the guys will just grab my iPod and just go listen to it. There’s like five guys at least just grabbing it. You aren’t really thinking about it, but you need to get in the right mindset, and get into thinking about the game. It just helps you to get in that mindset sooner.”