Women’s basketball adds depth, talent for 2009

Coach Jolette Law shouts instructions Sunday at Assembly Hall during an exhibition game against SIUE. Erica Magda

By Bret Greenberg

Recruiting time is up, and head coach Jolette Law has the best class in Illinois history. ESPN’s HoopGurlz ranked the Illini recruiting class second in the country after they officially signed six players to national letters of intent Wednesday.

“This is a great day to be an Illini,” Law said. “I am proud to say that I’m the coach here, and now we have some young ladies to bring this program to national prominence. I’m just extremely happy that these young ladies decided to come to the University of Illinois, and I can say right now that we are building on a dynasty and changing the culture here.”

The 2009 all-star recruiting class consists of five forwards and one guard. The lone guard is Amber Moore, a 5-foot-10 state champion from Detroit, Mich., who will bring an all-around game to the Illini backcourt.

In the frontcourt, the Illini are adding Adrienne GodBold, Brianna Jones, Kerston Magrum, Karisma Penn and Destiny Williams.

Williams, the No. 8 senior in the nation according to ESPN’s HoopGurlz, is one of the highest ranked recruits in Illinois history. Law said she is only beginning to show her talent. At 6-foot-3, Williams can handle the ball and play out on the wing if needed. Her knack for rebounding and her outside shot should get her minutes next year. GodBold brings needed speed and athleticism to a team Law wants to be up-tempo for all 40 minutes. Jones was noticed by Law for her work ethic and versatility on both ends of the floor. Law hopes this is contagious for the rest of the team next year.

Magrum was recruited for her passing and the ability to knock down the mid-range shot. Law sees a deep internal work ethic in Penn that was unmatched by any recruit this year. Penn’s footwork and soft touch around the basket will serve her well at the collegiate level.

The Illini squad, which currently consists of nine players, will appreciate having more bodies next year. Also, their thin frontline will benefit from the addition of five top-150 ranked forwards.