Losing skid hits six for Illini women in loss to Wolverines

By Bret Greenberg

Junior Jenna Smith fouled out of her first game as a Fighting Illini with about a minute to go, capping a frustrating 52-44 loss to Michigan on Thursday that extended the squad’s losing streak to six.

Illinois played hard-nosed defense, but was called for 20 fouls compared to Michigan’s six.

“I have to give a lot of credit to Michigan,” Illini head coach Jolette Law said. “They defended Jenna (Smith) well and dared us to shoot from outside. We made a run to take the lead, but they kept their composure down the stretch and kept making plays.”

In the first half the Illini were unable to utilize Smith’s presence down low, which slowed their offense to a crawl. Freshman Macie Blinn was a spark off the bench in posting five points. But her effort could not overcome Illinois’ dreadful 22-percent shooting.

“In the first half, I think we were too adamant about getting the ball inside,” Law said. “Sometimes we forced passes inside and, on top of that, we weren’t making any shots. We need to reverse the ball better to create more scoring opportunities.”

Even when Smith did touch the ball, she was met by a swarming Michigan defense. At one point the Wolverines sent all five players at her, forcing a jump ball. Smith also was contested for parts of the game by 6-foot-6 Krista Phillips, who kept her in check.

“When they’re guarding me like today I just need to keep posting hard and maybe sometimes I become a distraction for the other team,” Smith said. “I have confidence that my teammates can hit some shots and put points on the board.”

Illinois’ defense kept them in the game, forcing back-to-back shot clock violations on the way to eight Wolverine turnovers in the first half. But it came at a price, with senior Chelsea Gordon and redshirt freshman Lydia McCully both receiving their second fouls. Smith also had two fouls going to the locker room at half with her team down 23-14.

At the start of the second half the Illini came out inspired, rattling off a 13-3 run and claiming their first lead of the game at 27-26.

The Illini almost doubled their shooting percentage in the second half, but their frequent fouling proved costly down the stretch. Michigan’s strong defense and ability to get to the line helped put Illinois away.

Smith finished the game with 10 points and eight rebounds. McCully led all Illini scorers with 11 to go along with three rebounds and two steals.

Illinois has a chance to end their losing streak on January 12 against No. 17 Ohio State at the Assembly Hall.

Notes: In the final minutes, Gordon was chasing after a Michigan player when she was laid out by Michigan’s Phillips who also collapsed to the floor. The referees said Gordon impeded on a legal screen set by Phillips and was called for the foul. She was shaken up on the play and went to the bench for the remainder of the game.