Struggling Illini make changes, keep spirits high

By Bret Greenberg

Head coach Jolette Law drew inspiration from President Barack Obama’s inauguration on Tuesday, saying that change is on the horizon for the struggling Illini.

After losing nine straight games, Law said the team’s new “mojo” will involve dictating on the defensive end and having unbridled confidence on the offensive end.

“We keep saying ‘Yes, we can,'” Law said.

“We believe wholeheartedly in each other and we are committed to helping each other out and playing a full 40 minutes. It’s all about accountability. If we do the things we’ve been doing, then we’re going to end up being 4-25. Or we can make a change.”

This new wave of change begins with their practice schedule, which was moved to 6:45 a.m. Monday through Wednesday. Even with an ailing record and an eye-opening practice schedule, Law said her players remain upbeat during practice.

“We have nothing to lose,” Law said.

“We are all optimistic about it. If you came to practice you would see the spirits are up. Most people wouldn’t think we are 4-15 right now.”

Law said the team needs to stop focusing all of its time and energy on other teams and start looking inward at its good and bad habits. At practice on Wednesday, the team spent almost three hours watching films and evaluating what needed to be done to right the ship. Law said rebounding and stopping transition baskets were big topics of discussion during the meeting.

Even with endless optimism, the team is still realistic about what needs to be done to improve and get ready for No. 19 Ohio State on Thursday. Last time the teams met on Jan. 12 in Champaign, the Buckeyes held the Illini to 35 points which was their worst offensive output since 1972.

“Everyone has to step up in many categories like rebounds, scoring, playing defense and helping each other out,” forward Lacey Simpson said.

“We can’t just come down and have one, two or three people scoring. Right now it has to be a team effort and everyone has to do their part.”

Offensively, juniors Jenna Smith and Simpson have been Illinois’ first and second options so far this season, but the team has struggled to find a balanced attack. Smith is averaging 17.4 points and 8.3 rebounds, with five double-doubles.

With a young supporting cast, Smith and Simpson have had to shoulder a lot of the scoring load. But Smith said her teammates still have more to give.

“It’s most definitely frustrating but at the same point I make mistakes just like my teammates,” Smith said. “It takes five of us to win the game. Anybody can go off on our team. We just need to work together and take pride in our defense like we usually do.”

Now sitting in the No. 10 spot in the Big Ten, Law’s goals for her basketball team have changed.

“The goals now are being able to compete and try to finish in the middle of the pack,” Law said. “We have 10 games left. Right now we can very easily turn this into 10-8 versus 0-8. I told my kids, ‘You can either say we’re down and we’re going to go 0-18 or you are going to look at these 10 games in our face and say we’re going to be better.'”