Hockey beats Hawkeyes 8-2

Brennan Caughron

Brennan Caughron

By Alex Paull

In their first meeting ever, the Illini took the first game against Iowa Friday with an 8-2 win. In a game expected to be physical and exciting, the Illini did not disappoint.

The Illini shot early and often, taking control of the game early. Illinois scored three unanswered goals in the first period, and held control the rest of the game.

Without seniors Jason Nemeth and Johnny Liang, the power-play did not miss a beat, converting on three of their seven power-plays.

Captain Jordan Pringle led the way with two goals while Matt Jennings contributed three assists.

Eighteen penalties were committed in the game, but the Illini penalty kill was perfect, killing all 5 Iowa power-plays.

Goalies Mike Burda and DJ Kohler of the Illini each gave up a goal and combined for 14 saves. Iowa’s goalie Will Dodge, a player several Illini were familiar with, had his hands full with the offense, stopping 37 of the shots he faced.

The Illini will look for their second consecutive sweep tomorrow at Ice Arena. The puck drops at 7:30 p.m.