Getting to know Mike Tisdale

Erica+Magda%0A

Erica Magda

By Jeff LaBelle

On rebounding …

I just haven’t been rebounding real good, but I’ve been making open shots. For the most part, I’m satisfied … I don’t know that I’ll ever be a rebounding machine, but I can keep hitting open shots when I need to.

On recent road woes …

I don’t know if it’s just that shots aren’t falling or we’re just not used to playing in away gyms or what, but I guess that’s what you can blame it on. Other than that, I don’t really have an answer for that. Assembly Hall is so far the best place I’ve ever played.

On fans returning …

The crowd’s been amazing lately. I think I even saw some people camping out there the other night. It’s just really cool that people are getting back into that spirit. Getting the fans back into this was the goal since the beginning of the season. So far we’ve been doing well and the fans really enjoy that. For a few games, it’s been the loudest I’ve heard in a long time. That helps us a ton, makes it a lot easier to play at home.

On Valentines Day plans …

I think we have a game. Maybe we’ll all do something. We’ll be on the road for the Sunday game I’m sure. I really doubt any of us will celebrate.

On who he would give a Valentines Day card to …

(Walk-on) Bubba Chisholm. I would have to give it to him just because he’s the man. The other day I was walking on the Quad, and he yelled, ‘Oh look, it’s Mike Tisdale,’ and everybody stopped and looked at me. I just had to give him a shout-out. People were probably scared of me because I’m so tall. But, you know, I’m a nice guy.

On some of his hobbies …

When I’m not here, besides playing basketball, I like playing golf. I love fishing, hunting, things like that. I was raised that way I guess. With my dad, we were always hunting and fishing, and my grandpa takes us golfing a lot. I was one of those four-year-old kids with a gun.

On hunting …

I’ve killed some pretty big deer with a bow. We have some pictures, the biggest was a 12 pointer. My dad’s killed a lot bigger ones than I have. Bow season runs during the preseason so whenever I get a day off I get to go home.

On whether hunting helps him as a basketball player …

Just the concentration on the court, when you’re shooting and stuff like that, it’s the same in hunting. You have to be patient and concentrate.

On the longest time he’s ever spent in a tree stand …

Probably four hours. You just sit there. It’s pretty relaxing to be honest with you. You’re out there, kind of just chilling. You can spend a whole day in a tree stand, get out there at five in the morning and don’t get back until five at night or so.