Illinois softball continues strong season start

By Gina Jenero

To kick off the Cox Communications Invitational in Gainesville, Florida, the Illinois Women’s softball team grabbed their sixth successive win defeating the Texas Tech Red Raiders 8-2.

After second baseman Danielle Zymkowitz led off with a single, center-fielder Jamie Adishian stretched an error to get on base. Loading up the bases was fellow outfielder Hope Howell who was hit by a pitch. Next, left-fielder Hollie Pinchback knocked in two runs with a double to left field, and following her, third baseman Kelley Wedel singled, scoring the Illini’s third run of the game. Finally, shortstop Ashley Conrad put another run on the board with a bases-loaded walk.

On the other side, Texas Tech managed to cross plate with a two-run home run in the third inning.

In the sixth inning, designated player Katrina Ross doubled and was brought in by Zymkowitz’s RBI single. First baseman Meredith Hackett tacked on three runs in the seventh with her third home run of the season over the left field wall, capturing Illinois sixth consecutive win.

In the Illini’s second game of the day, the Tigers got off to a successful start, earning two early runs in the first. The Illini managed to score one run in the first, and then tied it up in the third when Zymkowitz walked and scored on Howell’s left-center double. The Tigers managed to add on nine more runs, defeating the Illini (11-2).

The Illini resume play tomorrow at 8 am against the USF Bulls and then challenge the No. 2 ranked Florida Gators at 3 p.m.