Illini hockey falls in a tight game to CSCHL All-Stars

By Alex Paull

The Illini hockey team fell to the CSCHL All-Stars on Saturday, losing by a score of 4-3.

In the last game of the season at the “Big Pond,” the physical play was minimal, with each team only picking up only one penalty.

Despite the lack of penalties, the Illini treated the game like any other on their schedule, keeping the pressure on and outshooting the CSCHL All-Stars 46-25.

Forward Tom Connell gave the Illini an early lead in the game, scoring seven minutes into the game before forward Chris Hourigan from Kent State University tied it six minutes later.

In the second period, the Illini tallied two more goals off the sticks of junior defenseman Brad Hoelzer and senior Jordan Pringle, taking a 3-2 lead into third.

The CSCHL All-stars held the Illini scoreless in the third, while tallying two goals to win the game 4-3.

Illini goalie Mike Burda played the first two periods and made 14 saves before DJ Kohler took over in the third. Kohler stopped seven of the nine shots he faced.

The Illini will next head to Cleveland, Ohio, to take on Central Oklahoma in the first round of the ACHA National Tournament. The puck drops at 5:30 p.m.