Football travels to Chicago for scrimmage

Members of Illinois football’s offensive line perform drills in front of coach Joe Gilbert before a scrimmage at Oak Park-River Forest High School in Oak Park, IL on Saturday, April 11, 2008.

By Jay Lee

In its seventh practice of the spring season, the Illinois football squad held a scrimmage Saturday at Oak Park-River Forest High School in Oak Park, Ill.

Running a mostly situation-based scrimmage, the team practiced in front of a large crowd for the first time this year. Most of the stands were filled at the stadium, which seats 4,500 people.

Juice Williams wowed fans by completing 13 of 20 passes for 167 yards, including a 27-yard touchdown pass to Jarred Fayson, who led all receivers with 60 yards on five receptions.

But the bulk of the offense came from the running game, with Mikel LeShoure leading the way with 123 yards on 14 carries. Jason Ford received most of the reps with the first team, gaining 58 yards on 10 carries. Daniel Dufrene returned from a hamstring injury to contribute 21 yards on six carries.

“They’re older, understand the offense better, they’re more competitive,” head coach Ron Zook said of his running backs. “They’re not thinking, they’re letting their God-given abilities take over.”

Illini return to original —linebreak—Orange and Blue

Saturday’s scrimmage marked the third straight year the team has held a Chicago-based scrimmage in the spring. Last year, the scrimmage was held at Lemont High School in Lemont, Ill.

“Once you get up here, it’s fun,” Zook said. “It’s good for the University. It’s good for our program. It’s good for the people who are up here.”

The event gives Chicago-area fans and alumni a chance to see the team practice. It also draws in recruits, as one notable attendee was incoming Illini freshman recruit Nathan Scheelhaase, a four-star quarterback

After attempts to hold the scrimmage at Homewood-Flossmoor High School fell through, Zook decided to hold the scrimmage at Oak Park-River Forest, who has tried to host the practice for the last two years.

The University of Illinois has strong historical ties with the high school. Before coaching the Illinois football team to four national titles in the early 20th century, Bob Zuppke coached Oak Park-River Forest to two state championships. When he came to the University of Illinois, Zuppke brought Oak Park-River Forest’s school colors — orange and blue — to Champaign.

“To think that Coach Zuppke, this is where he did it, it’s neat” Zook said. “Everything we have at the University of Illinois football came from him and here.”

Wilson scoots over to middle

After Ian Thomas received most of the reps at middle linebacker in the previous practices, Martez Wilson moved from outside linebacker to play middle linebacker with the first-team defense. Thomas moved over to play outside linebacker along with Russell Ellington, and Nate Bussey also received playing time with the first team.

“It surprised me at first because I thought they were going to keep me at outside linebacker,” Wilson said. “I’m more of an outside linebacker, I’m willing to do anything to help the team.”

Wilson has been cleared to play in spring practices after getting stabbed in an altercation in December. The former five-star recruit was third on the team last season with 73 tackles.

Middle linebackers Brit Miller and J Leman led Illinois in tackles for the past three seasons.

The two not only provided on-field production but also were recognized as the leaders of the defense.

“The more you scrimmage and the more you know the defense, the faster you can get to the ball,” Wilson said. “My number-one thing is getting to the ball, and at middle linebacker, I can do that.”

Wilson, who started seven games at outside linebacker last season, called many of the defensive plays and audibles in Saturday’s scrimmage.

“That guy in the middle isn’t necessarily a true linebacker. It has to be a guy that can run and cover,” Zook said. “(Wilson) is not the only one playing (middle) linebacker, but he’s such an athletic guy. He made some big plays today, and that’s what you like about a big guy that can run.”

Offense regains groove

The Illini also held a scrimmage at Wednesday’s practice, but Saturday’s scrimmage was the first time that new offensive coordinator Mike Schultz had a chance to call in plays from an upstairs booth.

“It’s being handled really well,” receiver Arrelious Benn said of the transition to Schultz’s style of offense. “Picking up the offense and the new terminology, we’ve been picking it up real good.”

After the defense limited the offense for much of Wednesday, the offense had their way for most of Saturday’s scrimmage.

“It might have been Illinois against Illinois today, but the offense won today,” Benn said. “Last scrimmage we got creamed.”

What was the biggest difference between Wednesday and Saturday?

“I wasn’t at scrimmage (on Wednesday), I had class,” a laughing Benn said.