Football scrimmage boosts team energy

Illinois’ Juice Williams (7) throws the ball during a scrimmage at Oak Park-River Forest High School in Oak Park, Ill., on Saturday, April 11, 2008.

By Jay Lee

Heading toward the latter half of the spring season, there has been no shortage of enthusiasm in practice.

“The intensity is there, it’s high. They’re starting to get more and more contact in,” head coach Ron Zook said. “It’s competition, they have to compete.”

Practices on Tuesday and Wednesday were both marked by big plays and hard hits. Highlights included a monstrous hit on running back Daniel Dufrene by linebacker Ian Thomas, who came from across the field to make the tackle. Safety Supo Sanni also had two interceptions, and cornerback Dere Hicks picked off a Juice Williams pass in the end zone.

“That’s the one thing about the spring, it’s the offense against the defense the whole spring,” Zook said. “I think they realize that once we get together, we can continue to improve and get better and have a chance to do something. But you have to have that competition.”

The players have taken this rivalry to heart during practices, with both sides loudly sounding their support for their respective units. The defensive side rushed the field after the defense forced the offense to miss a field goal during the two-minute drill to conclude Tuesday’s practice.

“It’s all about getting the energy in there every way we can,” defensive tackle Corey Liuget said. “It’s fun going at it with both sides, really competing with one another. We’ve got a great energy and atmosphere out there, really pushing each other to get better and better.”

Injury Report: Sidelined Illini slowly return

Several players made their way onto the practice field after sitting out due to injuries. Safety Donsay Hardeman (neck) and cornerback Miami Thomas (shoulder) both ran through individual drills for the first time Tuesday, but both were held out of contact drills.

Dufrene (hamstring) returned to limited action in Saturday’s scrimmage in Oak Park, Ill., and he continued to practice this week. Joining him at Tuesday’s practice was fellow running back Troy Pollard, who practiced for the first time. The inclement weather limited Pollard’s participation.

“We’re trying to be careful and try to keep them all fresh,” Zook said. “It’s about getting these guys in slowly. We just want to get them in and have them run around a little.”

Defensive lineman Daryle Ballew (shoulder) remains the only Illini still sidelined by injury. Defensive tackle Josh Brent remains suspended from the team because of a pending DUI case.

Prime time schedule announced

The Big Ten announced its prime-time schedule for the 2009 season on Wednesday, with Illinois grabbing two night games. The Sept. 12 home opener against in-state rival Illinois State and the Oct. 17 matchup at Indiana both are set to kick off at 6 p.m. on the Big Ten Network.

The Big Ten also announced that Illinois’ season-opener against Missouri in St. Louis will begin at 2:40 p.m., airing on ESPN.

No other times for the rest of the regular season games were announced.

The only other possibility for a night game is the Nov. 27 game at Cincinnati. The broadcasting rights to the game belong to the Big East, and there has been discussion of ESPN airing the game on Friday night.