Baseball wins second game of series against Penn State

By Peter Zervakis

Freshman Willie Argo’s pair of home runs led the Illinois baseball team over Penn State 11-5 victory on Saturday afternoon. The win means the Illini (25-12, 10-4 Big Ten) have now won their third Big Ten series in a row, and they will try to sweep the Nittany Lions on Sunday morning.

Argo batted 3-for-4 with five RBIs on the day, and sophomore left fielder Casey McMurray hit 4-for-5 with an RBI. The Illini never trailed through nine innings.

Illinois led 7-2 after six innings, but PSU (21-18, 5-9) senior second baseman Landon Nakata’s triple keyed a three-run rally in the seventh. Nakata finished the game 2-for-5 with two RBIs.

But the Illini effectively closed the door on a Nittany Lion comeback with a four-run ninth highlighted by one of Argo’s homers. Freshman pitcher Will Strack was credited with the win for Illinois after going 6 2/3 innings, and junior right-hander John Anderson picked up his second save of the season.

PSU senior Mike Lorentson gave up four earned runs in four innings of work and was charged with the loss.