Missed offensive opportunities doom Illinois’ softball doubleheader against Northwestern

By Charlotte Carroll

It was a lack of offense that hampered the Illinois softball team’s chances against No. 25 Northwestern in a doubleheader on Tuesday.

The Illini lost 6-3 in the first game and then followed that with a 9-0 mercy rule defeat in the nightcap. 

In the first game, Illinois mustered runs with a two-run home run from Remeny Perez and an RBI double from Ruby Rivera, leaving seven stranded on base.

The performance in the second game was even worse, with the Illini going just 1-for-19 as a team, compared to the Wildcat’s who went 13-for-31.  

In that second game, Illinois could not get runners on base and stranded the only two they were able to put on.

Rivera had the Illini’s lone hit in the second game, extending her hitting streak to nine games.

“We should have been better at the plate,” Rivera said. “We were seeing the ball fine. We weren’t getting a good handle on the barrel.”

Pitcher Jade Vecvanags shines in Game One

Amidst other pitching woes, freshman Jade Vecvanags pitched a perfect four relief innings in the first game of the doubleheader.

After relieving Brandi Needham in the fourth inning, Vecvanags retired 12 straight Wildcats and had one strikeout.

Head coach Terri Sullivan credited Vecvanags with giving the Illini the chance to get back in the first game. By hitting her spots well, Sullivan said she created the opportunities necessary to fight back.

However, her perfect performance did not extend into the second game when she came in to relieve junior Shelese Arnold. Vecvanags allowed six hits and three earned runs from the 12 batters she faced.

“We feel good about all of our pitchers,” Sullivan said. “Brandi’s been solid all year. Shey (Arnold) is, I think, back throwing the way she can. They’ll work together and you really have to get that from a pitching staff right now. Teams score runs at the end of April. Our pitchers will continue to work together and do what we need to do.”

Illini to face Michigan in final home series

This weekend, Illinois will play its final home series against No. 4 Michigan. There will be a game each day, with Friday starting at 7 p.m. and both Saturday and Sunday beginning at 1 p.m.

Michigan leads the all-time series 19-5, but Illinois won two of the last three meetings in 2012.

As the last home series, it will be a special weekend for the team, with two promotional days planned. Saturday will be Alumni Day honoring the 10th anniversary of the 2004 team that finished second in the Big Ten and reached the NCAA Regional Final.

Sunday will be the last for two current players, as they say goodbye to Eichelberger Field on Senior Day. Outfielder Alex Booker and catcher Jenna Mychko will be recognized prior to the game for their achievements from the past four years on the team.  

The Illini are hoping to bring the offense, pitching and defense together for a home series win.

“Like Northwestern, Michigan is an outstanding team,” Sullivan said. “What an opportunity to have them come into our ballpark. You want to play the best. They’re at the top of the conference, and I know we only recruit players who want to play the best. So we have to take that challenge and grab the opportunity to do something. We have a lot of stuff going on, but we’re looking to play great softball.”

Charlotte can be reached at [email protected].