Bears need to keep it simple to win

Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler (6) throws a pass during the second quarter of their game against the Carolina Panthers at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, N.C. on Sunday, Oct. 5, 2014. The Panthers beat the Bears 31-24.

By Michal Dwojak, Assistant sports editor

This Chicago Bears season has been a roller coaster ride. The team’s 3-3 record is an indicator of that.

Bears fans have gone from panicking after a loss to the Bills, to buying tickets to Glendale, Arizona, after wins against the 49ers, to giving up on the team after losses to the Packers and Panthers.

Well, here we are.

The team just beat the Falcons in comprehensive fashion. Jay Cutler had what some consider his best game as a Bear and a depleted defense made needed plays.

So, what are we to expect? Are “Da Bears” back to being Super Bowl contenders? Or are they just going to continue the trend toward another 8-8 season?

This team has always had the capability of being a playoff contender. Well, there is a simple game plan the team can follow to reach a record that will land it a playoff spot, while also saving us from the weekly fan overreaction.

The key for the defense is simple: limit as much as possible. Last year’s defense was the worst in franchise history. Many called for the job of defensive coordinator Mel Tucker. But general manager Phil Emery worked his magic during the offseason, signing free agents Jared Allen, Willie Young and Lamarr Houston. Emery also drafted cornerback Kyle Fuller and defensive tackle Will Sutton.

Although the defense has taken a hit due to injuries, it has done what it needs to do. It ranks 25th with 24 points allowed per game, which is where it needs to be. This defense doesn’t need to be a top defense for this team to succeed. If it creates a turnover, great! If points are earned from said turnovers, fantastic! If it remains to be a middle-in-the-pack defense, the next phase of the game will finish the job.

The key for the offense is simple: score. The Bears tied for second in points per game during the regular season in 2013, averaging 27.8 points per game. This team has the offensive talent to match or even surpass that number.

The team has monster wide receivers Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery who can catch anything Cutler throws in their vicinity. When both Marshall and Jeffery are well covered, there’s a big tight end named Martellus Bennett who can make   impressive catches and absorb big hits.

Well, if all three are covered, they’re toast, right? Wrong. Running back Matt Forte is one of the best all-purpose backs in the league. Forte leads the league with 46 catches. If he’s not running the ball, he is running a slant, offering a solution for Cutler when he’s under pressure.

So it’s all on Cutler! Cutler’s the reason why this team is a mediocre team! Well, not quite.

The offensive line has faced injury after having all five starters play every game last season. Center Roberto Garza and guard Matt Slauson have missed a couple of games and left tackle Jermon Bushrod will miss a few more. Although the line has kept together for the most part, there have been moments when Cutler has taken big hits or been sacked. But as the line gets healthier, this should not be an issue.

So the rest is on Cutler. For some, that is scary. Cutler is not an elite quarterback and will most likely will never be. He will show off his arm and make throws that amaze anyone. He will also make mistakes that drive fans crazy, and his reaction to it will drive fans mad.

The thing Bears fans need to understand is that this is your quarterback. Love him or hate him, he is the franchise quarterback. He is the quarterback the organization gave a big contract to. And that shouldn’t frustrate Bears fans. This offense is talented enough that Jay Cutler can be the quarterback that leads them to victory. Joe Flacco won a Super Bowl and not many consider him to be elite. Cutler has the talent. It’s up to him to lead it down the field.

So calm down Bears fans. It might be unusual to see a Bears team that relies on offense rather than defense, but the times they are a-changing.

If the defense limits opponents to about 20 points per game and maybe creates a few turnovers, that’d be a perfect game for them.

Cutler and the offense need to score enough points to win, and if they do so, Bears fans will not have to endure another mediocre roller coaster ride this season.

Michal is a sophomore in Media. He can be reached at [email protected] and on Twitter @mdwojak94.